Italian Zeppole is the most delicious sweet treats ! Deep-fried dough, almost like a beignet but much chewier and more dense – more of a Ricotta donut.
I have never heard of Italian Zeppole before I made this delightful, almost donut like, sweet treat.
Will I make it again ? Most definitely ! The kids were not here and I would love to make these as it is exactly the type of treat they like.
A few days ago I bought some Ricotta cheese for something else I had in mind. However, Murphy’s Law played a trick on me again !
The Blueberries were off just as I wanted to use them. I will eat Ricotta as is, but I really wanted to try a new, sweet, recipe.
When I found this recipe, the name sounded a little familiar, but I could not quite place it.
End of search – I made the Zeppole and I strongly recommend it to anyone who have never tasted this before.
The most common size for one Zeppole is 10 centimeters ( 4 inches ), but I prefer smaller treats. Therefore I roll mine into either one bite or at most two bite sized balls.
How do you serve the Italian Zeppole ?
Warm and covered in Icing Sugar (Powdered Sugar) !
On standing the Icing Sugar will be absorbed by the fried Zeppole, resulting in a sticky, sweet treat. Which, by the way is almost just as delicious !
In the recipe below, you will notice I have the servings set as 20. This is based on a two bite sized ball, just a little smaller than a golf ball.
More Sweet Treat recipes you might like:
- Oil, for deep fry
- 1 cup Flour
- 2 t Baking Powder
- 1/8 t Salt
- 1 1/2 t Sugar
- 2 large Eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Ricotta cheese (mash it up with a fork)
- 1/2 t Vanilla Essence
- 1/2 cup Icing Sugar, for dusting/rolling (Powdered Sugar)
- Heat Oil in a deep-fryer
- Meanwhile, place the Flour, Baking Powder, Salt and Sugar in a medium sauce pan and stir to mix – add the Eggs, Ricotta and Vanilla to the pan – mix gently over low heat until combined – dough will be sticky
- Remove from heat and take table spoonfuls of dough, about 4 centimeters (slightly under 2 inches) in diameter (no need to be perfect balls) and place into the hot Oil – cook until golden - about 3 minutes per batch
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fried Zeppoli onto a paper towel and immediately roll/dust in Icing Sugar. Repeat until all the dough is finished
- Serve warm
Amount Per Serving Calories 70.8Total Fat 3.5gSaturated Fat 2.2gUnsaturated Fat 0.7gCarbohydrates 7.4gSugar 2.5gProtein 2.6g
Be warned: these little donut-like cookies are addictive !