Creamy Colcannon recipe – With Spinach and Ham this is always a winning side dish, especially on Saint Patrick’s Day
We love this Creamy Colcannon, not only on or around St Patrick’s Day, but have it on the menu at least once a month.
I am busy putting together our actual menu for St Patrick’s Day this year and have tried many side dishes, but my family have already requested this Colcannon, which is a creamy, heavenly dish to be part of the menu.
Well, I am definitely not complaining as this is one of my favorite recipes for a Colcannon.
I know this recipe is not an authentic Irish recipe, but it is one that goes so well with most meat dishes traditionally served on St Patrick’s Day.
Something else I love … quick, easy and no strange ingredients. I use a couple of slices (thinly sliced) cooked Ham from the Deli and the Spinach I have growing in the garden.
- 6 Potatoes cooked, peeled
- 3 TB Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup Cooked Ham thinly sliced and chopped
- 3 cups Fresh Spinach chopped
- 1/2 cup Fresh Cream (double cream/whipping cream)
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Mash the cooked Potatoes and keep warm
- Using a large skillet, heat the Butter over medium high heat – add the Ham and Spinach and stir-fry 4 – 5 minutes – remove from heat and stir into the mashed Potatoes
- Add the Cream to the skillet and heat – only until warm, do not boil
- Stir in the warmed Cream into the mashed Potato mixture and season to taste with Salt and Black Pepper
Serve warm as a side dish.
And you might also like :