Bacon, Mushrooms, Cream, Spinach and more in this Best EVER Chicken Pie. This is the only Chicken Pie recipe you must have !
I Must have made this best ever Chicken Pie dozens of times over the years. I do not think I have ever tried another version, as this one is so good!
The pie is loaded with vegetables and the Mushrooms, especially, adds so much texture and taste to the dish.
This is just a total winning combination of flavors all in one comforting Chicken Pie.
Only a little bit of Bacon is added, but the flavor it brings to the pie, is absolutely to die for delicious and I am sure this recipe would become one of your favorites too.
When we have guests over for dinner, I like to make small individual servings in oven proof serving dishes.
Yuppiechef (not an affiliate, just loving their ranges) has a wonderful collection of different sizes, colors and shapes, or you could simply use plain ramekins.
I usually make the filling during the day and only need to cover the dish/es with the Puff-Pastry just before baking – 30 minutes later and dinner is on the table.
More Chicken recipes you might like:
- Amish Chicken Casserole
- Teriyaki Chicken Stir-Fry
- Chicken Cacciatore (Dump and Bake)
- Sweet and Sour Chicken Stir-Fry
- Easy Baked Thai Chicken
Best Ever Chicken Pie
- 1/2 cup Flour
- Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- 1 kg Chicken Fillets, cut into stir-fry strips (2.2 pounds)
- Olive Oil, to fry
- 125 g Bacon , chopped (5 ounces)
- 250 g Mushrooms, ( 8 oz )
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Large Tomato, peeled, chopped
- 4 cups Spinach, chopped
- 1 t Dried Mixed Herbs
- 1/4 cup Fresh Cream, (whipping cream/double cream)
- 1 roll Frozen Puff-Pastry, defrosted
- 1 Egg Yolk, mixed with a little milk, for glazing
- Pre-heat oven to 200 deg C (400 deg F) – Spray a 20 x 30cm oven dish with cooking oil
- Combine the Flour, Salt and Pepper – Cover the Chicken strips in the Flour mixture and fry in a little oil in batches until all the chicken are cooked and light brown. Remove Chicken from pan and set aside
- Fry the Bacon in the same pan as used for the Chicken until crispy, remove and add to the Chicken – keep aside
- Using the same pan, fry the Mushrooms until soft – Add the Onion, fry until translucent – Add the Tomato and Spinach – Stir-fry until the Spinach has wilted
- Add the Mixed Herbs and Fresh Cream to the Mushroom mixture in the pan – simmer 1 – 2 minutes
- Remove the Mushroom mixture from the stove and stir in the Chicken and Bacon
- Transfer to the prepared oven dish – Cool completely before covering the top with Puff Pastry (cut away any excess pastry and use to decorate, if so desired)
- Paint pastry with Egg yolk mixed with a little milk – Bake 30 minutes until Pastry is puffed and light brown
slightly adapted from a recipe in HUISGENOOT Magazine
Amount Per Serving Calories 712Total Fat 31gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 18gCholesterol 223mgSodium 866mgCarbohydrates 35gFiber 6gSugar 4gProtein 74g
Nutrition value is not always accurate
Serve with a vegetable side or two (or salads)