Easy Milk Rusks is a delicious breakfast or teatime treat. Dunk in your coffee or tea and enjoy !
This week it seems I am on an Easy recipe run! I made these Rusks as a quick treat which we could keep on hand for a few days.
Well, a few days, were actually only two days and they were all gone ! I have always loved Rusks, most flavors, especially chunky Buttermilk, but this was my first go at baking them myself.
No kneading and no waiting for the dough to rise – just my thing.
This recipe was shared by a reader of a local popular magazine many years ago, which was later part of a round-up of the magazines best recipes received from readers.
And I definitely agree on this recipe – as well as a few others which have become favorites with our family.
More coffee/tea time treats you might like:
- Cinnamon Pumpkin Scone Wedge
- Gingerbread Snacking Cake
- Date and Walnut Bread
- South-African Koeksisters
- Easy Pear Danish Bars
Easy Milk Rusks
- 2 1/2 cups Milk
- 2 cups Sugar
- 500 grams Margarine, or unsalted Butter
- 3 extra-large Eggs, beaten
- 1.5 kg Self-Raising Flour, ( 3.3 pounds )
- 1 TB Baking Powder
- 1 t Salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 deg C (325 deg F) – spray two baking sheets with cooking oil
- Place the Milk, Sugar and Margarine (or Butter) in a medium saucepan – heat until the Margarine (or Butter) has melted and the Sugar has dissolved – remove from heat and let cool completely
- Add the beaten Eggs to the Milk mixture
- Sift together the Flour, Baking Powder and Salt – add to the Milk mixture and mix until well combined – it is quite a sticky dough
- Press into the two prepared baking sheets – bake 30 minutes until a tester comes out clean - decrease the oven temperature to 100 deg C ( 200 deg F )
- Cut into pieces and dry out at 100 deg C (200 deg F) for about 2 hours ( leave the oven door slightly open ) - you may need more baking sheets, as the Rusks would dry out quicker when spaced
- Once dried out, leave to cool completely and keep in an airtight container (rusk or cookie tins are best)
Nutrition InformationYield 80 Servings Serving Size 1 Rusk
Amount Per Serving Calories 139Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 10mgSodium 279mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 1gSugar 5gProtein 2g
Nutrition value is not always accurate
Keep in a sealed container or a Rusk tin.