Easy Milk Rusks is a delicious breakfast or teatime treat. Dunk in your coffee or tea and enjoy !
This week it seems I am on an Easy recipe run! I made these Rusks as a quick treat which we could keep on hand for a few days.
Well, a few days, were actually only two days and they were all gone ! I have always loved Rusks, most flavors, especially chunky Buttermilk, but this was my first go at baking them myself.
No kneading and no waiting for the dough to rise – just my thing.
This recipe was shared by a reader of a local popular magazine many years ago, which was later part of a round-up of the magazines best recipes received from readers.
And I definitely agree on this recipe – as well as a few others which have become favorites with our family.
More coffee/tea time treats you might like:
- Cinnamon Pumpkin Scone Wedge
- Gingerbread Snacking Cake
- Date and Walnut Bread
- South-African Koeksisters
- Easy Pear Danish Bars
Easy Milk Rusks
- 2 1/2 cups Milk
- 2 cups Sugar
- 500 grams Margarine, or unsalted Butter
- 3 extra-large Eggs, beaten
- 1.5 kg Self-Raising Flour, ( 3.3 pounds )
- 1 TB Baking Powder
- 1 t Salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 deg C (325 deg F) – spray two baking sheets with cooking oil
- Place the Milk, Sugar and Margarine (or Butter) in a medium saucepan – heat until the Margarine (or Butter) has melted and the Sugar has dissolved – remove from heat and let cool completely
- Add the beaten Eggs to the Milk mixture
- Sift together the Flour, Baking Powder and Salt – add to the Milk mixture and mix until well combined – it is quite a sticky dough
- Press into the two prepared baking sheets – bake 30 minutes until a tester comes out clean - decrease the oven temperature to 100 deg C ( 200 deg F )
- Cut into pieces and dry out at 100 deg C (200 deg F) for about 2 hours ( leave the oven door slightly open ) - you may need more baking sheets, as the Rusks would dry out quicker when spaced
- Once dried out, leave to cool completely and keep in an airtight container (rusk or cookie tins are best)
Serving Size1 Rusk
Amount Per Serving Calories 139Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 10mgSodium 279mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 1gSugar 5gProtein 2g
Nutrition value is not always accurate
Keep in a sealed container or a Rusk tin.