Easter Rocky Road is an awesome way to use up leftover Easter candy. Make it as an Easter treat or it makes a great Easter gift idea as well.
It is almost Easter and next week this time many will ask, what to do with leftover Easter candies. You can finish it off as is, or turn the leftover candy into Easter Rocky Road !
I recently bought my granddaughter a kind of little lucky packet at one of our weekly markets. She did not want the piece of Rocky Road included, and after one bite, neither did I when tasted. Very floury taste.
Thereafter, I decided to make my own as the Easter Rocky Road not only makes a great way of using leftover candy, but can be given as an Easter gift as well.
When given as an edible chocolate gift, simply wrap the bars in cellophane and it is good to go.
You can use any type of mini Easter eggs in the recipe, however I like the chewy jelly filled type. It adds chewiness and there are less hollow spots in the bars.
The dried Cranberries can also be substituted for any dried fruit (chopped small if using bigger dried fruit), or leave it out if you prefer no fruit.
How to store the Easter Rocky Road ?
We have just started Fall in South-Africa and the days are so different from one another. One day it is hot, then icy cold the next.
Therefore, if you are in a warm/hot area, store the Rocky Road in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Remove 10 minutes before serving. (Yes, I know, ideally chocolate should not be refrigerated)
But if you have a cool area in the house, or it is Fall/Winter, then store in any airtight container without refrigeration.
More Easter recipes you might like:
- Cadbury Creme Egg Poke Cake
- No Yeast Hot Cross Buns
- Easter Blondies
- Brownie Cheesecake Bars (Easter)
- Easter Brownie Bites
Easter Rocky Road
- 225 grams Dark Chocolate, broken into pieces, good eating quality ( 8 oz ) - see notes below
- 100 grams Unsalted Butter, ( 3.5 oz )
- 2 TB Cocoa Powder
- 2 TB Golden Syrup, or Treacle Syrup
- 100 grams Shortbread Cookies, ( 3 .5 oz )
- 1 1/2 cups Mini Marshmallows
- 2/3 cup Dried Cranberries
- 200 grams Chocolate Mini Easter Eggs, chewy jelly filled ( 7.5 oz )
- Line a 20 x 20 cm ( 8 x 8 inch ) baking dish with cling wrap (cross over)
- Melt the Dark Chocolate in the microwave, stirring regularly, until halfway melted - add the Butter and microwave until all is melted - stir until glossy and smooth
- Stir in the Cocoa Powder and Syrup - leave to cool at room temperature 10 - 15 minutes
- Chop the Shortbread into smaller pieces (shortbread in a plastic bag, rolled with rolling pin works great) - you do not want the pieces too small though
- Stir the Shortbread into the Chocolate mixture together with the Marshmallows, Cranberries and 3/4 of the mini Easter Eggs
- Pour the Chocolate mixture into the lined baking dish and press down gently to remove most air pockets
- Sprinkle over the remaining mini Easter Eggs - press down slightly and refrigerate an hour until set
- Cut into bars using a sharp knife
- Milk Chocolate works just as well as Dark Chocolate
- Serving sizes/quantity depending on your cut
- The bars will keep well in an airtight container for around a week
Serving Size1 Bar
Amount Per Serving Calories 383Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 39mgSodium 66mgCarbohydrates 48gFiber 3gSugar 35gProtein 4g
Nutrition value is not always accurate