This Caramelized Onion and Blue Cheese Quiche makes a wonderful meatless main dish, light dinner or a side dish served with just about any kind of Meat/Poultry.
This Caramelized Onion and Blue Cheese Quiche is an absolute winner ! You can either serve it as a meatless Monday meal with a salad or two, or you can enjoy the Quiche as a side dish.
I have made the Quiche several times over the last month or two and we just enjoy it more and more each time.
Around three or four weeks ago, I made one specifically to share on the blog. But had an unfortunate kitchen mishap before I could even take a photo of the baked Quiche !
The mishap, happened to be me (having the Quiche in hand) by meeting the tiled kitchen floor on hands and knees !
To make a long story short (well, it really is a short story) ! I tripped over my grand-dog, Nahla ! Quiche flying with the glass dish shattering into a thousand pieces. Me with a busted knee, two thumbs out of their sockets and a nice, deep, bleeding cut on my hand.
I was so upset – did not really worry about my cuts and bruises at the time, but my dish and the Quiche ! Right, by the next morning I had pains and aches in places I did not even know could hurt. And that’s the end of the story ..
This Caramelized Onion and Blue Cheese Quiche is so creamy and tasty. I could almost have it every second day – either as a main dish, or a side dish, I am not picky.
Add a little more sustenance !
Now and then I add in some cooked, shredded Bacon, which gives the Quiche a little more taste and makes it a bit richer as well.
I am adding a photo below of the KNORR packet which I used in this recipe, in case it is not available, or known, to you. At least you will have an idea of what to look for to substitute the packet with.
Although the Quiche should be served warm, it is delicious when cold as well. On hot Summer days, I actually prefer to serve the Quiche cold with a crunchy side salad for lunch or even an early light dinner – which we so love here in SA.
You might also like these light dinner / lunch recipes:
- Salmon Green Bean and Spring Onion Quiche
- Quick and Easy Nachos
- Bacon Tomato Pasta Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing
- Three Cheese Stuffed Pasta Shells
- Shrimp Avocado Pasta Salad
Caramelized Onion and Blue Cheese Quiche
- 1 roll Frozen Short Crust Pastry, defrosted
- 2 TB Olive Oil, extra virgin
- 4 Red Onions, quartered
- 1 TB Brown Sugar
- 2 extra-large Eggs
- 3/4 cup Fresh Cream, ( double cream )
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 packet KNORR Cheese and Bacon Potato Bake, ( or sub for similar )
- 1/3 cup Blue Cheese, crumbled
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) – spray a 24cm ( 10 inch ) quiche or pie dish with cooking oil
- Roll out the Pastry and roll a little bigger to fit into your dish – position on the base and up the walls of the dish – cut away any excess pastry – prick the Pastry several times with a fork – bake 15 minutes
- Heat the Oil over medium heat – saute the Onions until loose and soft – stir in the Sugar and cook until caramelized (2 – 3 minutes) – remove from heat.
- Remove the half baked Pastry from the oven – arrange the Onions on the base
- Beat together the Eggs, Cream, Milk and sachet of KNORR Potato Bake in a medium bowl – pour over the Onions in the dish
- Sprinkle over the Blue Cheese – bake a further 30 – 35 minutes or until the center of the Quiche has set
- Remove from the oven – let stand at least 10 minutes before slicing into servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 644Total Fat 41gSaturated Fat 19gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 18gCholesterol 170mgSodium 707mgCarbohydrates 48gFiber 3gSugar 14gProtein 22g
Nutrition value is not always accurate