This Singapore-Style Chicken Salad is packed with flavor as well as nutrition and is ideal to serve as a light dinner or lunch
I have never had Water Chestnuts before. But after tasting them in this Singapore-Style Chicken Salad it is one of our new favorite snacks and always included in this salad.
The salad is packed with so many flavors which just works great together.
I found the recipe in an old magazine. The original meat to use, is ground Chicken, which I absolutely can not stand, tried it once and never again.
No idea why, as it is just a finer form of shredded Chicken. Anyhow, if you like the ground variation, use that instead in this recipe, I’ll just stick to shredded.
The recipe yields 4 servings, adult size. But would very well be enough for 2 adults and 4 kids. Served with a dinner roll or two each, and the salad is great to serve as lunch or a light dinner.
I made a couple of changes to the recipe to suit my family’s taste better and everyone loved it, as is usual with just about any Chicken salad in our house.
However, if you can not get hold of Fresh Lemongrass, use one teaspoon dried. You can be find fried Lemongrass together with all the other dried herbs in the herb and spices aisle at most supermarkets.
All the other ingredients are everyday pantry or fresh produce items, so you should not have a problem with anything.
This particular Chicken salad is definitely worth it to make at least once. I have made the salad 3 times already in less than a month, which is very unusual for me !
The Lime or Lemon wedges are a definite must ! Maybe not for the little ones, but if you like a squeeze of bite in your salad, I highly recommend serving the salad with the wedges on the side.
More meaty Salad recipes you might like:
- Balsamic Roasted Pork and Berry Salad
- Shrimp Salad with Spicy Watermelon Salsa
- Smoked Chicken and Blueberry Salad
- Shrimp Avocado Pasta Salad
- Steak Potato and Broccoli Salad
Connect with us :
Singapore-Style Chicken Salad
- 6 Spring Onions, chopped
- 1 Green Chili, finely chopped
- 1 TB Ground Coriander
- 1 TB Ground Ginger
- 1 TB Turmeric
- 1 TB Fresh Garlic, crushed
- 1 TB Fresh Lemongrass, chopped
- 1 t Sesame Oil
- 2 TB Cornflour (Cornstarch)
- 2 TB Fish Sauce
- 2 TB Rice Wine
- 450 g Chicken Fillets, uncooked, shredded ( 1 pound )
- 1 can (230g) Water Chestnuts, drained ( 8 oz can )
- 1 Red Chili, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup English Cucumber, shaved into ribbons
- 1 Red Onion, sliced
- 1 cup Sugar Snap Peas
- 3 cups Butter Lettuce, torn
- 1 cup Cilantro
- Lime and/or Lemon wedges to serve
- CHICKEN: Toss together all the ingredients, Spring Onions through and including the Chestnuts – Stir-fry in a large non-stick wok until the Chicken is done – about 8 – 10 minutes – turn down heat and let cool
- SALAD: Combine the Red Chili, Tomatoes, Cucumber, Onion, Peas, Lettuce and Cilantro – scatter on a large serving plate
- Top with the cooled Chicken mixture and Lime/Lemon wedges
Serving Size1 Adult size
Amount Per Serving Calories 282.6 Total Fat 4.1g Saturated Fat 0.8g Unsaturated Fat 2.1g Carbohydrates 36.2g Fiber 4.9g Sugar 13.2g Protein 26.9g
Serve at room temperature or chilled.