Hertzoggie Cookies are one of the most popular cookies in South-Africa. They are jam/jelly filled cookies with a light coconut, meringue topping.
With a large plateful of Hertzoggies, your guests are sure to have more than one !
This is another South-African cookie favorite! A True African cookies recipe.
Crust, jam filling and a coconut topping make these Hertzoggie Cookies a very popular and widely baked sweet treat all over the country.
I have to admit – I hate baking cookies ! Muffins are fine, cupcakes again, no, I am no good with icing !
The decorating part, whatever method/recipe I try, it always looks off. At least the cupcakes with the icing tastes just fine.
But I love a good Hertzoggie and the ones at the supermarkets are really becoming a joke. The other day I found three, out of a packet of twelve, with no filling.
The only other place to get them is at a good Home Industry store – but that can be expensive.
I have baked some before, made a complete mess as I used too much jam in the filling. Not once but three times.
Some of the recipes read that the egg-white must be beaten stiff, almost like making meringue, this also did not work out.
Today, I looked through my Springbok Kitchen cookbook again and found this recipe for Hertzoggie Cookies, which is GREAT!
I made the Hertzoggies exactly as per the recipe and I am happy with the results. Next time I might just add a tiny bit more of the egg-white mixture on top to give a bit more of a rise as well as extra coconutty delight.
NB: However tempting it might be – DO NOT overdo it with the jam! One teaspoon is more than enough.
More South-African Delicacies :
- 2 cups Flour, ( if available use Cake Flour )
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1/2 cup Butter, cut into small cubes
- 3 extra-large Eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons Ice-Cold Water
- 48 teaspoons Smooth Apricot Jam ( Jelly - not lumpy jam )
- 3/4 cup Desiccated Coconut
- 3/4 cup Caster Sugar, ( super fine sugar )
- Sift the Flour, Baking Powder, Salt and Sugar together into a medium mixing bowl – Add the Butter and rub it into the Flour with you fingertips
- Mix the Egg Yellow and Water and add to the Flour mixture – mix until a dough has formed – place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes
- Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) – spray 4 x 12 hole patty pans with cooking oil
- Roll out the dough and cut into circles, slightly larger than the patty pan holes, fit the rounds into each hole – place a teaspoon full of the Apricot Jam in the center of the cut-out dough
- Beat the Egg whites until just foamy – do not over beat – add the Coconut and the Caster Sugar – mix well by hand
- Use approximately 1 tablespoon full of the Egg/Coconut mixture and spoon over the Apricot Jam – bake for 12 – 15 minutes
- Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool in the pans – transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Keep leftovers in a sealed container
Nutrition InformationYield 48 Serving Size 1 Cookie
Amount Per Serving Calories 78Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 20mgSodium 70mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 0gSugar 7gProtein 1g
Nutrition value is not always accurate. Please also check your ingredient labels.
Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool in the pans – transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Keep leftovers in a sealed container.