Gooey Ginger Dessert is as sticky and sweet as it looks ! Best served with ice-cream or whipped cream – enough for a crowd !
This Gooey Ginger Dessert is as sticky and sweet as it looks! The ginger is not overpowering, just enough to my liking.
We always finish this dessert in no time at all.
The sauce forms at the bottom as well as on top of the pudding. And is wonderful if you serve this with ice-cream with a scoop (or three!) of the sauce over the ice-cream.
Do make sure to use your largest (I use a 3 liter capacity) baking dish with a lid.
Of all my Winter desserts, this one is the one which is always on request, and it is enough for a crowd.
More Ginger Desserts:
- Ginger Cake with Creamy Lime Filling
- Gingerbread Snacking Cake
- Ginger Bread Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Gooey Ginger Dessert
Baked Ginger dessert with a thick layer of sauce all baked into a gooey, comforting delight - enough for a crowd !
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3 cups Boiling Water
- 1 TB Sherry
- 1 cup Butter
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 Extra-Large Eggs
- 2 TB Apricot Jam (smooth, fine)
- 2 t Ground Ginger
- 1 TB Baking Soda (Bicarbonate of Soda)
- 1 cup Milk lukewarm
- 3 cups Flour
- Pre-heat the oven to 220 deg C (425 deg F) – Spray a large dish (with a lid) with cooking oil.
- SYRUP: Dissolve the Sugar in the Boiling Water – add the Sherry – pour into the prepared oven dish.
BATTER: Melt the Butter in a small pot – add the Sugar – simmer over low heat until the Sugar has dissolved – remove from heat.
Beat in the Eggs with the Butter – add the Jam and Ginger – stir to combine.
Mix the Baking Soda with the Milk – add this mixture and the Flour in batches to the Butter mixture until the batter is smooth.
Transfer the batter to the prepared oven dish, cover with the lid and bake 1 hour on the middle rack of the oven.
source: GESINSKOS recipe book
Serve warm with ice-cream/custard or whipped cream.