Ginger Cake with Creamy Lime Filling is a moist, lightly sticky cake with a zesty Lime cream cheese filling – prefect for dessert or as part of a sweet party platter.
Ginger Cake with Creamy Lime Filling is the perfect dessert to take with to a family gathering, or when you host a party yourself.
The cake can be made a day in advance and even after that leftovers will keep well in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
I absolutely love making this cake, never mind eating it ! Two sheet pans, only a few minutes in the oven and by the time the cake has finished baking and cooled, the filling is ready as well.
This is perfect for when I need a dessert for the following day as the filling needs at least 3 hours to set and overnight is even better.
The Ginger Cake is moist and slightly sticky which makes it all the more delicious, especially with the creamy Lime Filling.
Slicing the cake is a total breeze and you can decide on the serving size. I usually end up with around 24 servings.
But I have stretched it to 32 slices before. Smaller slices are especially great when you have a variety of sweet treats on a serving platter.
You could of course also half the recipe and use smaller baking pans as well if 24 – 32 slices are a bit much if it is only served as dessert after dinner for the family.
More Ginger dessert recipes you might like:
- Gingerbread Snacking Cake
- Ginger Bread Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Gooey Ginger Dessert
Ginger Cake With Creamy Lime Filling
IngredientsYield: 24 Servings
- 3/4 cup Flour
- 1/4 cup Self-Raising Flour
- 1/2 t Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 t Ground Ginger
- 1 t Ground Mixed Spice
- 1/4 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 5 TB Butter, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup Golden Syrup ( or Light Treacle Syrup/ Light Molasses )
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Milk
CREAMY LIME FILLING:
- 1 t Plain Gelatin Powder
- 2 TB Fresh Lime Juice
- 250g Cream Cheese, plain, softened ( 8 oz )
- 1/4 cup Caster Sugar
- 2 t Lime Rind, finely grated
- 1 cup Fresh Cream ( whipping cream/double cream )
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) – line 2 sheet pans with baking paper – let the paper hang over the edges of the pans
- Sift together the Flour, Self-Raising Flour, Bicarbonate of Soda, Ginger and Mixed Spice in a large mixing bowl – stir in the Brown Sugar
- Melt the Butter and Syrup in a small saucepan until smooth – stir into the Flour mixture
- Beat the Egg slightly and add together with the Milk to the Flour mixture – stir until well combined
- Divide the mixture in two and pour into the 2 sheet pans – bake 10 – 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely in the pans
CREAMY LIME FILLING:
- Meanwhile make the the Lime filling – Sprinkle the Gelatin over the Lime Juice in a small microwavable bowl – leave 1 – 2 minutes until spongy – microwave on high 30 seconds until the Gelatin has dissolved – cool 3 – 5 minutes
- Beat the Cream Cheese, Caster Sugar and Lime Rind in a medium mixing bowl until smooth – add the Fresh Cream and beat until combined – quickly stir in the Gelatin
- By now the Ginger Cake should be cooled completely – pour the Lime Filling over one of the cakes in the sheet pans – top with the remaining cake and refrigerate 3 hours (or overnight) until firm
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 146 Total Fat: 9.6g Saturated Fat: 5.7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3.9g Cholesterol: 38.4mg Sodium: 57mg Carbohydrates: 13.9g Fiber: 0.2g Sugar: 8.1g Protein: 1.9g
Slice into servings – depending on your preferred serving size, you can get 24 – 32 slices. Keep any leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator.