Chocolate Meringue Pie has a smooth, silky, almost ganache-like filling with a bit of an unusual, divine Meringue topping – so easy to make!
Chocolate, chocolate ! What would we do without any chocolate ??
Right, maybe have a thinner waistline … One bite of this Chocolate Meringue Pie and you will forget about your waistline instantly – promise !
This is definitely not a Pie you want to make in a hurry.
The pie needs time to bake, cool off in the oven and then be chilled for at least 4 – 6 hours. (or overnight, which I prefer)
The Meringue topping is also a bit unusual and not the same as when you bake a Lemon Meringue, which has a somewhat chewiness to the meringue bit.
This topping is more dried out and also have a feather light cake texture, which is wonderful, by the way.
To describe the filling, I would say it is an ultra creamy, melt-in-the-mouth Cream filling and so very, very chocolaty !
Every bite is like a small piece of silky, chocolate heaven and the crust rounds everything off very nicely.
So, if you want this pie tomorrow night, you better make it tonight !
Patience and you will taste the Chocolate Meringue Pie as it is meant to be enjoyed. Think of it as a smooth, silky and a bit lighter chocolate ganache.
More Chocolate treat recipes you might like:
Chocolate Meringue Pie
- 16 Oreo Cookies, original, crushed
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1 1/4 cup Fresh Cream (whipping cream)
- 250 g (8 oz) Dark Chocolate, good eating quality, chopped roughly
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 t Vanilla Essence
- 4 Egg Whites
- 1 cup Caster Sugar (Superfine Sugar)
- 1 TB Cornstarch (Corn Flour)
- 1 TB Vinegar
- 1 TB Vanilla Essence
TO DECORATE (optional):
- Icing Sugar, to dust (Powdered Sugar)
- 1/4 cup Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 cup Melted Chocolate, to drizzle over
- Pre-heat the oven to 120 deg C (250 deg F) – line a standard cake pan with baking paper – let the paper hang over the edges
- CRUST: Combine the Oreo Cookies and the Butter – press into the lined cake pan – bottom and up the sides
- FILLING: Heat the Cream until just before boiling point – remove from heat – place the Chocolate in a mixing bowl and pour over the hot Cream – stir until the Chocolate has melted and is smooth
- Beat together the Eggs and the Vanilla for the Filling – stir into the Chocolate mixture – beat 1 – 2 minutes – pour the Filling into the prepared crust and bake for 15 minutes
- MERINGUE: Meanwhile prepare the Meringue : Beat the Egg Whites until stiff peaks form – add the Caster Sugar, Corn Starch, Vinegar and Vanilla – beat until well combined
- After 15 minutes, remove the Pie from the oven – scoop over the Meringue topping and bake a further 60 minutes – switch off the oven and let the Chocolate Meringue Pie cool completely in the oven
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 4 – 6 hours (overnight is preferable)
- TO DECORATE (optional): A few minutes before serving – dust with Icing Sugar, sprinkle over the Chocolate Chips and drizzle the melted Chocolate over the Pie – chill a few minutes for the drizzled Chocolate to set
Ingredients for decorations not included in Nutritional values
Amount Per Serving Calories 574.1Total Fat 34.3gSaturated Fat 19.9gUnsaturated Fat 10.7gCarbohydrates 65.5gFiber 2.9gSugar 53.4gProtein 6.3g
Don’t forget to PIN !