Grape and Red Onion Chicken Drumsticks are juicy and tender and so quick and easy to make (dump and bake!) and perfect for dinner on a busy week night
If you are looking for an easy, no-fuss dinner, this Grape and Red Onion Chicken Drumsticks dish is perfect.
Besides for cutting the Onions into wedges, this is basically a dump and bake recipe.
You can use different cuts of Chicken. But I prefer to stick to one type in a dish, as all the pieces would be cooked at exactly the same time, provided that you arrange all the ingredients in a single layer.
This is a fairly large recipe and could be stretched to 8 portions. Depending on your family’s appetites and likes or dislikes of Chicken.
Not that I think there are that many people (vegetarians excluded, of course!) who do not like Chicken.
The Red Wine just about evaporates and I do not use a lot in this recipe anyway, therefore it is perfectly safe for the kids.
However, if you are really not the Wine cooking type, use Chicken stock instead. The dish would not have exactly the same rich taste as when made with the Red Wine but it will still be a great meal.
How to make your own Balsamic Reduction
*NOTE: I make my own Balsamic reduction, usually a full bottle and then I use it as needed.
To make your own only takes a few minutes – if you want enough for this specific recipe, bring 1/3 cup of Balsamic Vinegar (brown or light) to the boil – let simmer until the Vinegar has turned syrupy – the quantity would be half of what you initially started off with – use as per the recipe.
More Chicken recipes you might like:
Grape and Red Onion Chicken Drumsticks
- 2 Red Onions, cut into wedges
- 2 TB Fresh Garlic, crushed
- 2 – 3 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary, torn
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 12 Chicken Drumsticks
- Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- 2/3 cup Dry Red Wine (or Chicken Stock)
- 1 cup Seedless Red Grapes, cut into smaller bunches
- 3 TB Balsamic Reduction (* see note in post)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) – spray a large enough shallow oven dish with cooking oil
- Arrange the Onions and Garlic on the oven dish – sprinkle over the Rosemary and the Bay Leaves – tuck the Chicken in between the Onion wedges and season to taste with Salt and Pepper
- Pour the Wine (or Chicken Stock) around the Chicken pieces and bake 35 – 40 minutes – remove from the oven
- Add the Grapes to the dish and drizzle with the Balsamic Reduction – bake a further 15 – 20 minutes or until the Chicken is cooked through
Amount Per Serving Calories 308.6Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 1.8gUnsaturated Fat 3.8gCholesterol 154mgCarbohydrates 12.5gFiber 1.2gSugar 6gProtein 42.1g
Serve with mashed potatoes, rice, couscous and salads or vegetables on the side.