Chicken and Peppers Picnic Loaf – Make ahead the previous night for picnics, lunch or a late lunch/early dinner – packed with deliciousness !
I love food which you can make ahead and this Chicken and Peppers Picnic Loaf can be made the night before. Whether you want to take it to a picnic or make for lunch the next day, it will be fine as long as the loaf is kept chilled.
We are huge fans of cold sandwiches during Summer (or any Saturday afternoon for that matter) and we would often have these as a late lunch/light dinner.
All ingredients can be doubled, halved or simply left out if it’s not really your thing. For the Peppers I normally use one Spicy type and the other a Mild.
I have made the walls, top and bottom of the Bread a little thinner previously. But it did not keep the filling in place very securely and seeing as the filling is quite a bit, the bread was not too much, meaning this proportion worked just right for us.
Chicken and Peppers Picnic Loaf
- 2 large Round Bread Loaves
- 4 Chicken Fillets cooked, sliced or shredded
- 2 TB Olive Oil extra virgin
- 1 TB Lemon Juice
- 1 TB Parsley chopped
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- 6 TB Basil Pesto
- 250 g Mozzarella Cheese sliced ( 8 oz )
- 1 cup Pickled Red Peppers sliced into thick strips
- 1 cup Pickled Green Peppers sliced into thick strips
- 1 Jar (100g) Sun-Dried Tomatoes in Oil drained ( 3.5 oz jar )
- 4 Hard Boiled Eggs sliced
- Slice both the Bread loaves in half – hollow out top and bottom, leaving a thick wall
- Mix the Chicken, Olive Oil, Lemon Juice and Parsley – season to taste with Salt and Pepper – set aside
Spread the Basil Pesto on the inside of each bottom piece of bread – arrange the Mozzarella on top of the Pesto – followed by the Chicken
- Mix the Red and Green Pepper together with the Sun-Dried Tomatoes – place over the Chicken
- Arrange the sliced Eggs on top of the Pepper mixture – add a little Salt if needed
- Close the sandwich with the tops of the Bread loaves – wrap in greaseproof paper, use string to keep everything together
Chill the Loaves, with a heavy object (i.e. a heavy book or plate) on top, for at least 2 hours before serving
These Picnic Loaves can be made the night before – keep chilled until ready to serve.
You Might Also Like: