Bolognaise Meatballs and Mozzarella Subs – juicy meatballs, gooey cheese and more in these Subs – quick and easy, the cheater’s way !
I wanted to make Bolognaise Meatballs and Mozzarella Subs the other day, but I was not in the mood to make meatballs from scratch (let’s just call it being plain lazy!)
So, I bought some sausages, removed the casings and had instant seasoned meat just ready to form into balls. Sausage meat, in general, is perfect for this.
The specific sausages I bought were a little loose, if you know what I mean. Too loose to fry in a pan, but it worked like a charm when I baked them – kept the shape 100%.
Other than prepping and baking the meatballs, this took no time at all to get ready.
I think this recipe would be a great time saver on days when there are a lot of Sport watching (and of course Subs are ideal to serve on game days).
Form the meatballs, place on a lined baking sheet, keep chilled, and pop into the oven whenever you are ready, or bake the meatballs way ahead of time and use as needed.
More Meatball recipes you might like:
Bolognaise Meatballs and Mozzarella Subs
- 12 Beef Sausages casings removed
- 2 TB Butter
- 2 Onions thinly sliced
- 2 TB Sugar divided
- 2 1/2 cups Bolognaise Sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- 8 Hot Dog Rolls sliced lengthwise but not all the way through
- 1 1/2 cups Mozzarella Cheese grated
- Parsley to garnish
Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) – spray a 20 x 20cm ( 8 inch ) oven dish with cooking oil
Form 24 meatballs with the Sausage meat – place on the prepared oven dish – bake covered (lid or aluminium foil) for 1 hour or until done
- Once the meatballs are cooked – heat the Bolognaise Sauce with the remaining 1 TB Sugar in the microwave or in a saucepan on the stove top – pour the warm sauce over the meatballs and bake another 15 minutes
- Meanwhile, melt the Butter in a pan and saute the Onions until soft – add 1 TB Sugar and cook another minute or two until caramelized – keep aside
- Place the Rolls on a lined baking sheet – spoon the caramelized Onions into each of the Rolls
Add three meatballs (and sauce) to each Roll – top with grated Mozzarella and place under the grill element of the oven until the cheese has melted and is bubbly
- Garnish with Parsley and serve immediately