This Zesty Citrus Pudding slices recipe has a light sauce at the bottom and soft cake on top – the ideal comfort dessert during cold weather !
Autumn has started here in South-Africa and the mornings and evenings are definitely chillier than a couple of weeks ago.
We are now in that phase where we still want our Summer eats, but also a something warmer for dessert at night.
These Citrus Pudding slices are perfect – zesty, served slightly warm with a thin custard.
The pudding forms a bit of sauce at the bottom, which soaks into the cake just enough to make it a delicious gooey bite from the bottom, with the soft, less moist cake top.
If you are looking for a quick, comforting Winter dessert, which I would put between a pudding and a cake, then this recipe is for you.
More Comforting Dessert recipes you might like:
Zesty Citrus Pudding Slices
- 3 large Eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups Caster Sugar (Superfine Sugar)
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1/2 t Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup Orange Juice
- 1 Lemon, grated peel only
- 2 TB Lemon Juice
- 3 TB Butter, melted
- Pre-Heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) – spray a 20 x 20 cm ( 8 x 8 inch ) oven dish with cooking oil
- Beat the Egg Yolks and the Caster Sugar until fluffy and light yellow – add half the Milk and beat until the Sugar has dissolved
- Add the remaining Milk, the Flour and Baking Powder to the mixture – mix gently until combined
- Add the Orange Juice, Lemon Peel and Juice, and the Butter – stir through well
- Beat the Egg Whites until stiff peaks form – fold into the Pudding batter
- Pour the mixture into the prepared oven dish – bake 35 minutes until the pudding forms a thin sponge crust on top
- Take care when removing the pudding from the oven dish as it is saucy at the bottom – an egg lifter works great!
Amount Per Serving Calories 184.6Total Fat 5.2gSaturated Fat 2.9gUnsaturated Fat 1.6gCarbohydrates 31.5gSugar 27.4gProtein 3,2g
Serve warm with thin custard. Take care when removing the pudding from the oven dish as it is saucy at the bottom – an egg lifter works great!