Strawberry Liqueur Trifles ~ Boozy Jello made from fresh Fruit Juice, combined with Custard, Strawberries, Swiss Roll slices and topped with Cream and a Cherry make these Individual (or one huge!) trifles a winner each and every time
December is trifle time ! Trifles are so versatile to make. But I think the basics are quite clear – some kind of jello, custard, cake, fruit and some toppings.
These Strawberry Liqueur Trifles are not made with the usual box of jello, but instead with a Fruit Juice which is being jello-rised (not a word? .. well, I am sure you know what I mean!).
I used fresh sliced Strawberries in this recipe, but used ready-made thick Custard as I just about always have a couple of cartons of long-life Custard in the pantry.
The Caramel Swiss Rolls are from Woolworths, but you can use any kind or type of cake (pieces or slices) in a trifle.
Adding Liqueur or any other alcohol is definitely an adult only dessert. However, to make it kid-friendly you may want to leave out the Liqueur and instead use some more Fruit Juice.
The Wild Berry Juice which I have used, has a bit of zest to it, which I kind of like. All the rest of the ingredients are quite sweet and the zestiness makes a delicious contrast in taste.
Also up to you what kind of Juice you prefer to use, and the great thing about a trifle is that the flavors do not really have to go together. Like Strawberries and Berry Juice, a Pineapple juice will go just as well with Strawberries.
And there is no such thing as too many colors in a trifle, especially during the Festive season where everything IS about color.
*Note : Make individual servings or one large trifle. The larger trifle may just take a little longer for the Jello-Juice to set.
More Sweet Treat recipes you might like:
Strawberry Liqueur Trifles
- 2 1/2 cups Fresh Berry Juice (any flavor)
- 1 TB Gelatin, plain
- 1/3 cup Medium Sherry Liqueur
- 2 cups Strawberries, sliced
- 6 Mini Caramel Swiss Rolls, sliced (store-bought or homemade)
- 2 cups Thick Custard, ready made, divided
- Whipped Cream, to top
- Glace Cherries, to top
- Pour 1/3 cup of the Juice over the Gelatin in a small bowl – let sit until sponged – heat in the microwave (about 6 seconds) until dissolved and runny
- Save 2 tablespoonfuls of Juice and keep aside – pour the remaining Juice into a medium bowl – add the hot, dissolved Gelatin to the Juice whilst beating on high
- Add 1 TB Liqueur to the reserved Juice and set aside for later – add remaining Liqueur to the Juice/Gelatin mixture and mix well
- Arrange the Strawberries in the bottom of your serving glasses/dishes – pour the Juice/Gelatin mixture over and refrigerate until set
- Pour half the Custard over the layer of set Jelly, followed by a layer of Swiss Roll slices – drizzle the Juice/Liqueur mixture, in step 3, over the Swiss Roll slices and pour over the remaining Custard
- Top with Whipped Cream and a Glace Cherry
Nutrition InformationYield 6
Amount Per Serving Calories 312.3Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 4.8gUnsaturated Fat 1.4gCarbohydrates 47gFiber 1.3gSugar 27.9gProtein 7.3g
Serve immediately or keep chilled until ready to serve.