Creamy Beef Mac and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food – hearty, delicious made with ground beef and so cheesy [kids’ favorite mac and cheese!]
One can never have enough recipes for Mac and Cheese. I have no idea how many I have.
Or have tried over the years, but this Creamy Beef Mac and Cheese , is definitely one of our favorites.
Hubby prefers a Mac and Cheese with Ground Beef, whereas my son’s top-of-the-list, is certainly my Bacon Mac and Cheese which I have been making for years and never changed a thing on the recipe.
Ever tried those boxed mixes of Macaroni and Cheese ? I think I tried one box maybe once and I swore never to buy it again – it has a horrible taste !
There might be better, tastier brands out there by now, but I will always prefer a good old homemade version.
I have also seen people “dressing up” the boxed types, but then one might as well make the dish from the start, right?
Well, whichever the case, each person to his/her own likes and preferences.
I found the best way to make this Creamy Mac and Cheese (and other similar dishes) this way : Get the Macaroni cooking – set the oven and prep the oven dish.
Whilst that is going, I cook the Beef mixture and make the White Sauce in the microwave.
This way everything is done at just about the same time and the mixing can start – cook, mix, bake and serve in under 45 minutes !
More Pasta recipes you might like:
- Amish Country Casserole
- Ham and Cheese Pasta Salad
- Quick White Cheddar and Bacon Pasta
- Quick Pasta Casserole
- Cheesy Chicken Pasta with Sundried Tomatoes and Mushrooms
Creamy Beef Mac and Cheese
- 500 g Macaroni ( 16 oz )
- 2 TB Olive Oil, extra-virgin
- 1 Onion, large, grated
- 2 t Fresh Garlic, crushed
- 450 g Lean Ground Beef ( 1 pound )
- 1 can (410g) Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 TB Tomato Paste
- 1 t Sugar
- 1 cup Beef Stock
- 1 t Dried Oregano
- Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- 2 cups hot White Sauce (homemade or store bought)
- 2 cups Cheddar Cheese, grated, divided
- 2 Eggs, lightly beaten
- Pre-heat oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) – spray a 20 x 30 cm ( 9 x 12 inch ) oven dish with cooking oil
- Cook the Macaroni as per the instructions on the packet, drain and keep aside
- Meanwhile, heat the Oil in a medium pan – saute the Onion and Garlic until just soft – add the Beef and cook until done, stirring frequently
- Add the Tomatoes, Tomato Paste, Sugar, Beef Stock and Oregano to the Beef – simmer, uncovered, until the liquid has reduced by half – season to taste and keep aside
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the Cheddar Cheese to the hot White Sauce – stir until melted – add the Eggs, stirring continuously – mix well
- Add the Beef mixture and the Cheddar White Sauce to the cooked Macaroni – stir until combined
- Spoon into the prepared oven dish – top with remaining 1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese and bake 20 – 25 minutes
Nutrition InformationYield 6
Amount Per Serving Calories 896.7Total Fat 46.1gSaturated Fat 22.3gUnsaturated Fat 19.6gCholesterol 178.8mgSodium 669.4mgCarbohydrates 78.8gFiber 3.5gSugar 9.2gProtein 40.6g
Nutrition value is not always accurate