Creamy Beef Mac and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food – hearty, delicious made with ground beef and so cheesy [kids’ favorite mac and cheese!]
One can never have enough recipes for Mac and Cheese. I have no idea how many I have.
Or have tried over the years, but this Creamy Beef Mac and Cheese , is definitely one of our favorites.
Hubby prefers a Mac and Cheese with Ground Beef, whereas my son’s top-of-the-list, is certainly my Bacon Mac and Cheese which I have been making for years and never changed a thing on the recipe.
Ever tried those boxed mixes of Macaroni and Cheese ? I think I tried one box maybe once and I swore never to buy it again – it has a horrible taste !
There might be better, tastier brands out there by now, but I will always prefer a good old homemade version.
I have also seen people “dressing up” the boxed types, but then one might as well make the dish from the start, right?
Well, whichever the case, each person to his/her own likes and preferences.
I found the best way to make this Creamy Mac and Cheese (and other similar dishes) this way : Get the Macaroni cooking – set the oven and prep the oven dish.
Whilst that is going, I cook the Beef mixture and make the White Sauce in the microwave.
This way everything is done at just about the same time and the mixing can start – cook, mix, bake and serve in under 45 minutes !
More Pasta recipes you might like:
- Amish Country Casserole
- Ham and Cheese Pasta Salad
- Quick White Cheddar and Bacon Pasta
- Quick Pasta Casserole
- Cheesy Chicken Pasta with Sundried Tomatoes and Mushrooms
Creamy Beef Mac and Cheese
Creamy Beef Mac and Cheese
Creamy Beef Mac and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food - hearty, delicious made with ground beef and so cheesy [kids' favorite mac and cheese!]
- 500 g Macaroni ( 16 oz )
- 2 TB Olive Oil, extra-virgin
- 1 Onion, large, grated
- 2 t Fresh Garlic, crushed
- 450 g Lean Ground Beef ( 1 pound )
- 1 can (410g) Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 TB Tomato Paste
- 1 t Sugar
- 1 cup Beef Stock
- 1 t Dried Oregano
- Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- 2 cups hot White Sauce (homemade or store bought)
- 2 cups Cheddar Cheese, grated, divided
- 2 Eggs, lightly beaten
- Pre-heat oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) – spray a 20 x 30 cm ( 9 x 12 inch ) oven dish with cooking oil
- Cook the Macaroni as per the instructions on the packet, drain and keep aside
- Meanwhile, heat the Oil in a medium pan – saute the Onion and Garlic until just soft – add the Beef and cook until done, stirring frequently
- Add the Tomatoes, Tomato Paste, Sugar, Beef Stock and Oregano to the Beef – simmer, uncovered, until the liquid has reduced by half – season to taste and keep aside
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the Cheddar Cheese to the hot White Sauce – stir until melted – add the Eggs, stirring continuously – mix well
- Add the Beef mixture and the Cheddar White Sauce to the cooked Macaroni – stir until combined
- Spoon into the prepared oven dish – top with remaining 1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese and bake 20 – 25 minutes
Amount Per Serving Calories 896.7Total Fat 46.1gSaturated Fat 22.3gUnsaturated Fat 19.6gCholesterol 178.8mgSodium 669.4mgCarbohydrates 78.8gFiber 3.5gSugar 9.2gProtein 40.6g
Nutrition value is not always accurate
Friday 24th of February 2023
This looks like a good way to feed a crowd!
Question, if I may. What is "hot White Sauce"? A simple bechamel?
Saturday 25th of February 2023
Bechamel is correct, Michael. (in SA we normally just refer to a white sauce) The "hot" only means it must be very warm in order to melt the cheese