Coffee Custard Slices is a worldwide, popular sweet treat. This recipe uses Puff-Pastry to make the slices easily and quickly.
I always buy custard slices at the bakery as it (used to!) look like a lot of work and I really love them.
That changed since I started to make these Coffee Custard Slices and I even change the flavor now and then to the more traditional custard which is a vanilla flavor.
This recipe is so quick, easy and I am always guaranteed of delicious custard slices which has never failed.
Besides buying a slice at a bakery, can be very costly ! This recipe is so economical and you should already have all the ingredients on hand.
Take the Slices along to your next family gathering, serve as dessert or at tea time and wow your guests with a fresh, homemade delight !
More Coffee Desserts you might like:
Coffee Custard Slices
- 2 rolls Frozen Puff-Pastry defrosted
- 3 cups Milk
- 1-2 TB Instant Coffee Granules depending on your prefrence
- 8 Egg Yolks
- 3/4 cup Caster Sugar
- 1/2 cup Cornflour ( Cornstarch )
- 5 TB Butter coarsely chopped
- 1 t Vanilla Essence
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Dark or Plain ( good quality, broken into pieces )
- 2 TB Butter
- Pre-heat oven to 240 deg C (450 deg F) – line two baking sheets with baking paper
- Roll out the Puff Pastry and place on the prepared baking sheets – bake 10 minutes or until puffed and light brown – remove from oven and let cool completely – flatten with your hand and cut both baked pastries to the same size – keep aside
- Meanwhile, heat the Milk and Coffee until boiling point – remove from heat
- Beat together the Egg Yolks, Sugar and Cornflour in a medium bowl until well combined
Add the Egg Yolk mixture to the (slightly cooled) Milk/Coffee mixture and place back on a medium heat – stir continuously until the custard boils and thickens – remove from heat – whisk in Butter and Vanilla
- Cover surface of custard with plastic wrap – refrigerate until firm
Spread the firm Custard over one baked piece of Puff Pastry (puffed side up) – top custard with the remaining baked piece of Puff Pastry (puffed side down) – press down gently
Melt together the Dark Chocolate and Butter until smooth – pour over pastry – refrigerate until set and cut into slices (about 2 hours)