Baked Buffalo Wings, also known as oven-baked chicken wings or buffalo chicken wings, are tender little chicken wings doused in a delicious buttery buffalo sauce and baked to crispy perfection.
No need for deep frying in hot oil with this recipe ! Just toss them in the oven and you will have crispy baked wings with tangy buffalo sauce in minutes.
You should also try these Honey Garlic Chicken Wings, or even better, make both for the perfect game-day appetizer platter!
Read this section before changing anything in this baked buffalo wings recipe. Then, scroll down to our recipe card for cooking details.
- Party-style chicken wings: Or you can cut up your own.
- Hot sauce: Like Frank’s red hot sauce.
- Baking powder: Do not use baking soda.
- Garlic powder: Adds a rich garlic flavor.
- Onion powder: For that extra tanginess.
- Chili powder: Adds heat without too much spiciness.
- Smoked paprika: Gives baked buffalo wings a smokey sweet taste.
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
Buffalo sauce ingredients:
- Honey: To add sweetness to your buffalo sauce.
- Melted butter: You need butter for the flavor and the smoothness in your buffalo sauce.
- Hot sauce: We used Frank’s hot sauce, but you can use whatever buffalo sauce you like.
- Celery sticks
- Carrot stick
- Ranch dressing
How to make baked buffalo wings from scratch?
1. Preheat oven: First, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F, line a baking sheet or sheet pan with foil, and add an oven rack sprayed with non-stick spray.
2. For ultra-crispy buffalo wings: In the meantime, pat the chicken wings dry with paper towels. Then, add the chicken wings to a large bowl with baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, chili powder, salt, and pepper, and toss to coat evenly.
3. Bake buffalo wings: Then, place the coated wings on the prepared rack in a single layer. Bake chicken wings in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes or until they are golden brown and crispy.
4. Make buffalo wing sauce: While you wait, whisk the honey, butter, and buffalo sauce in a medium bowl.
5. Toss cooked wings in sauce: After the chicken wings are done, toss them in the spicy buffalo sauce until coated.
6. Serve immediately: Finally, serve wings with celery, carrot sticks, and ranch dressing.
- Blue cheese sauce: You could also serve your crispy baked chicken wings with blue cheese dip made from blue cheese dressing.
- Sour cream: Another way to serve these crispy wings is with sour cream. It helps to cool the palate.
- Heat it up: We think this recipe has just the right amount of spiciness, but you can change it to your taste preferences. If you want your crispy baked buffalo wings to be extra spicy, add some cayenne pepper to the seasonings.
- More sauce: Offer extra buffalo sauce in a small bowl for those who want more sauciness.
- On the side: Chicken wings also go great with other side dishes like french fries, macaroni and cheese, or mashed potatoes.
- Corn starch: If you do not have baking powder, you can use corn starch instead.
Frequently asked questions
Why use baking powder?
The recipe calls for baking powder because it makes your oven baked buffalo wings extra crispy. That is because baking powder can help break down the exterior of chicken skin, which can make oven-baked chicken wings browner and crispier faster. It will give you the best wings you have ever had. Baking soda will also work but your wings will not be as crispy.
Why is it called buffalo sauce?
It is not because it comes from a buffalo. In fact, it is called buffalo sauce because it was originally made in Buffalo, New York. It was made by Teressa Bellissimo when she was working at Anchor Bar in 1964. What she made it from was cayenne pepper hot sauce and butter. She served it on chicken wings, and everyone loved them.
Are these healthier than deep-fried wings?
Anything fried in hot oil will have more saturated fat in it than something cooked in the oven. Also, deep-fried foods have more calories, fat, and other unhealthy ingredients. Deep frying will also break down some of the nutritious components in your chicken wings, so you do not get as much protein. Just like with the air fryer, ovens heat with hot air.
How to store leftovers:
- Store: You can store your leftover baked buffalo wings in an airtight container for three to four days in the fridge.
- Freeze: To freeze your baked buffalo wings, wrap them in plastic wrap and then put them in a freezer bag. They will last for three months.
- Thaw: Thaw frozen leftovers in the fridge overnight before serving.
- Reheat: To reheat, put the chicken in the microwave for 45 to 90 seconds. Or, for extra crispy baked buffalo wings, heat them in the air fryer for a few minutes at 370 degrees F.
- Be sure to bake wings until the internal temperature is 160 degrees F.
- If you use unsalted butter, add a little bit more salt.
- Make sure your oven temperature is set at 425 degrees F for extra crispy wings.
- If you like to fry wings, this is a great recipe to get crispy wings without them being deep-fried.
- These baked buffalo wings are a delicious hearty snack for game day or any day.
- Want sour cream for dipping but don’t have any? Just mix one cup of heavy cream with one tablespoon of lemon juice.
It will have to sit at room temperature for 24 hours though.
- To shorten prep time, use the party wings. Or you can just use the whole wings with the wing tips removed.
- If you do not have a spare oven rack, you can use any wire rack that is oven-safe.
- The nutrition, calories, and fat amounts are estimated.
See more of our Chicken recipes.
Baked Buffalo Wings
- 3 pounds chicken wings, party style
- 1 tablespoon baking powder, NOT use baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 1 cup hot sauce
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon honey, or maple syrup
- To Serve: celery sticks, carrots, dipping sauce
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C (400 degrees F).
- Line a sheet pan with foil and place an oven safe rack on top it.
- Add the chicken wings to a bowl, with the baking powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, and paprika. Toss until evenly coated.
- Arrange the wings in a single layer, not touching each other, on the prepared wire rack.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the hot sauce, melted butter and honey. Add the wings and toss to combine and coat.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size per person ( 6 )
Amount Per Serving Calories 859Total Fat 63gSaturated Fat 24gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 34gCholesterol 207mgSodium 1823mgCarbohydrates 33gFiber 2gSugar 8gProtein 39g
Nutrition value is not always accurate. Please also check your ingredient labels.
Linking up at: WEEKEND POTLUCK – The Country Cook