This Zesty Citrus Pudding slices recipe has a light sauce at the bottom and soft cake on top – the ideal comfort dessert during cold weather !
Autumn has started here in South-Africa and the mornings and evenings are definitely chillier than a couple of weeks ago.
We are now in that phase where we still want our Summer eats, but also a something warmer for dessert at night.
These Citrus Pudding slices are perfect – zesty, served slightly warm with a thin custard.
The pudding forms a bit of sauce at the bottom, which soaks into the cake just enough to make it a delicious gooey bite from the bottom, with the soft, less moist cake top.
If you are looking for a quick, comforting Winter dessert, which I would put between a pudding and a cake, then this recipe is for you.
More Comforting Dessert recipes you might like:
Zesty Citrus Pudding Slices
- 3 large Eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups Caster Sugar (Superfine Sugar)
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1/2 t Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup Orange Juice
- 1 Lemon, grated peel only
- 2 TB Lemon Juice
- 3 TB Butter, melted
- Pre-Heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) – spray a 20 x 20 cm ( 8 x 8 inch ) oven dish with cooking oil
- Beat the Egg Yolks and the Caster Sugar until fluffy and light yellow – add half the Milk and beat until the Sugar has dissolved
- Add the remaining Milk, the Flour and Baking Powder to the mixture – mix gently until combined
- Add the Orange Juice, Lemon Peel and Juice, and the Butter – stir through well
- Beat the Egg Whites until stiff peaks form – fold into the Pudding batter
- Pour the mixture into the prepared oven dish – bake 35 minutes until the pudding forms a thin sponge crust on top
- Take care when removing the pudding from the oven dish as it is saucy at the bottom – an egg lifter works great!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 184.6 Total Fat: 5.2g Saturated Fat: 2.9g Unsaturated Fat: 1.6g Carbohydrates: 31.5g Sugar: 27.4g Protein: 3,2g
Serve warm with thin custard. Take care when removing the pudding from the oven dish as it is saucy at the bottom – an egg lifter works great!