Make-Ahead Savory Bread Pudding Breakfast takes less than 20 minutes to prepare, cover up overnight (or at least 30 minutes!) and bake in the morning
A Weekend or two ago, the kids were all home for the weekend. And I had been spending just about all of the Friday baking them some sweet treats and a variety of desserts. (This does not happen often ! in case you were wondering).
Anyhow, I had already lined up the following day’s late lunch/early dinner and knew I had to make something quick and easy.
This make-ahead Savory Bread Pudding Breakfast was just perfect for them as I also had other plans for the Saturday morning.
I am sure you also get those days where you think you might have a lot – or at least enough – time for everything, but then time just seems to run away.
This was one of those weekends.. the more I did, the less got done, or that’s how it felt anyway.
So far it seems hubby and I will spend Christmas by ourselves as both the kids have plans and my sweet mother-in-law (whom I invited along with my sister-in-law) will be visiting her first great grandchild !
I think it will be their first face to face, as that side of the family lives in another Province.
Getting back to today’s recipe ! I am trying different kinds of light-ish breakfasts for us to enjoy on Christmas morning.
Ideal breakfast when you do not have lunch or have a late lunch !
It seems more than likely that we will go to our usual Restaurant for a late lunch and this make-ahead Savory Bread Pudding Breakfast might just do the trick.
I do still have some other recipes to try out, but we really like this one. It bakes the same way as a Bread Pudding would (the dessert kind!), with crusty sides and crusty spots on top.
But when you dig in, it is all soft, meaty, cheesy and it is just a lovely dish to have on hand.
And I think this is the only recipe, of this kind, I have which contains Pork Sausage meat.
Which also, if you already have a favorite brand of Pork Sausage, is already seasoned and all. The bit of Sage, Salt and Pepper round things of deliciously.
More Breakfast recipes you might like:
Make-Ahead Savory Bread Pudding Breakfast
- 1 TB Olive Oil,, extra-virgin
- 8 Pork Sausages, meat removed from casings
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 8 cups French Bread, cubed crust and all (I use the Sesame Seed topped kind)
- 1 1/2 cups Mature Cheddar Cheese, grated, divided
- 4 large Eggs
- 3 1/4 cups Milk
- 2 TB Fresh Sage, chopped (or 1 teaspoon Dried Sage)
- 1/2 t Salt
- 1/2 t Black Pepper
- Cherry Tomatoes and Arugula, to serve
- Heat the Oil in a large skillet – stir-fry the Sausage Meat and Onions until cooked – transfer to a large mixing bowl and let cool a few minutes
- Add the Bread and 1 cup Cheddar Cheese to the Meat mixture – stir well to combine
- Beat together the Eggs, Milk, Sage, Salt and Black Pepper – pour over the mixture in the mixing bowl and stir until mixed – cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes, or overnight
- Pre-heat the oven to 190 deg C (375 deg F) when ready to bake – spray a 20 x 30cm ( 9 x 13 inch ) casserole dish with cooking oil
- Transfer the Bread Pudding mixture to the prepared casserole dish – bake 40 – 45 minutes until puffed and set in the center
- Remove from the oven – sprinkle over the remaining 1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese and bake a further 5 minutes or until the Cheese has melted
- Make-Ahead Standing time only if you do not prep the night before
Amount Per Serving Calories 480.3 Total Fat 20.2g Saturated Fat 9.2g Unsaturated Fat 7.5g Carbohydrates 52.3g Fiber 1.9g Protein 22g
Let sit for 5 minutes, slice into portions and serve with Cherry Tomatoes and Arugula (if using).
ps: Fresh fruit on the side goes very well with this Breakfast !