Apple and Cinnamon Bars – Soft Cake bottom, creamy Custard filling and Caramelized Apple topping baked all at once makes a delicious Fall dessert
A good Custard is always welcome ! Especially when baked and teamed up with Cinnamon Apple, you have a delicious quick, anytime sweet treat or dessert. These Apple and Cinnamon Custard Bars are one of our favorite week night desserts.
I left the Apple skin on and liked it that way, but my hubby and son reckoned it would have been better without. I suppose that is a personal choice.
You can slice these into rectangular bars or squares and they hold shape perfectly, so it is ideal as a party snack which is easy to add to a finger-dessert platter.
The size you slice them into are also to your own preference, but I have found if I serve these to my family for dessert, 9 squares are just fine.
Should you prefer to add the Custard Bars to a sweet party platter, I’d recommend slicing them into smaller bite-sized bars, which would give you around 15 servings.
I have set the Servings in the recipe to 12 portions as that is easy to slice especially if the Apple skin is not peeled.
The base consists of a Custard flavored cake with a thin Custard filling and topped with sliced Apple, sprinkled with Sugar and Cinnamon, which comes together nicely once baked.
More Apple recipes you might like:
Apple and Cinnamon Custard Bars
- 1/2 cup Butter, softened
- 1/4 cup Caster Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 2/3 cup Self-Raising Flour
- Pinch Salt
- 2 TB Custard Powder
- 1 TB Custard Powder
- 2 TB Caster Sugar
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 2 t Butter
- 1 t Vanilla Essence
- 1 Large Red Apple, cored,peeled or not, thinly sliced
- 3 TB Butter, melted
- 1 TB Caster Sugar
- 1/2 t Ground Cinnamon
- ) Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) – line a 20 x 20 cm ( 8 x 8 inch ) oven dish with baking paper (edges hanging over the dish)
- ) Beat the Butter and Sugar for the cake until creamy and fluffy – add the egg and beat again
- ) Sift together the Flour, Salt and Custard Powder – stir this into the Butter mixture – spread the batter on the bottom of the prepared oven dish – set aside
- ) Custard: Combine the Custard Powder and Caster Sugar in a small saucepan – add the Milk, stirring continuously over low heat until mixture boils and start to thicken – remove from heat – stir in the Butter and Vanilla – pour over the batter in the oven dish
- ) Arrange the sliced Apple on top of the custard – brush with melted Butter – sprinkle over the Caster Sugar and the Cinnamon – bake 35 minutes
- ) Remove from the oven and let cool in the oven dish before slicing
- Caster Sugar = Superfine Sugar NOT powdered sugar
Amount Per Serving Calories 200.3Total Fat 12.7gSaturated Fat 7.3gUnsaturated Fat 3.9gCholesterol 46.7mgSodium 60.7mgCarbohydrates 15.6gFiber 0.4gSugar 1.9gProtein 1.7g
Serve warm or at room temperature and enjoy !