Spicy Butter Chicken is the best spicy Chicken we have ever had and so easy to make too ~ Perfect comfort food for the whole family !
This is hands down the best Spicy Butter Chicken I have ever had and my family loves it just as much.
My daughter is not much of a picky eater, not like her brother at all, although it seems the older he gets the less fussy he has finally become.
I made this Butter Chicken on special request for my daughter a few months ago when she was home for the weekend. And the dish was an immediate hit with everyone. So much so, that I now make it quite often.
I have had restaurant Butter Chicken before, but I have to tell you, if you have never had homemade, you should most definitely try this recipe.
Restaurant’s won’t see me ordering this particular dish again. One thing I absolutely can not stand is finding a bone in my food, and that is one area most restaurants, offering this dish, can really improve on.
That is also the main reason I would rather make a homemade version of most take out chicken dishes, as I simply only use chicken Fillets for this kind of casserole.
The spices combined in the recipe are one hundred percent to our preference in a spicy chicken dish, without any one of the spices, or herbs, being overbearing. You can also use fresh tomatoes instead of canned.
This smooth, spicy Butter Chicken is the perfect comfort food and a bowl would always be welcomed by anyone on a cold evening.
More chicken recipes you might like:
Spicy Butter Chicken
- 2 t Fresh Garlic, crushed
- 1 TB Fresh Ginger, finely grated
- 1 cup Cilantro, leaves and stalks
- 3 TB Ghee, (use Vegetable Oil if Ghee is unavailable)
- 2 Onions, sliced
- 2 t Turmeric
- 2 t Garam Masala
- 2 t Ground Cumin
- 1 t Fenugreek Seeds
- 4 Large Chicken Fillets, cubed
- Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- 4 Whole Cloves
- 1 stick Cinnamon
- 1 can (410g) Chopped Tomatoes ( 15 oz )
- 1 can Water, (use Tomato can)
- 2/3 cup Yogurt, plain
- 1/4 cup Fresh Cream, (double cream/whipping cream)
- Place the Garlic, Ginger and Cilantro in a blender – blitz until a paste forms – remove and keep aside
- Heat 2 TB Oil (or Ghee) in a large saucepan with a lid – cook the Onions over low heat until caramelized – add the Garlic/Ginger/Cilantro paste – turn up the heat and stir-fry 3 – 4 minutes
- Add the Turmeric, Garam Masala, Cumin and Fenugreek – cook a further 2 minutes until fragrant- transfer to a bowl and keep aside
- Add the remaining Oil (or Ghee) to the same saucepan – cook Chicken over medium/high heat until browned – season lightly with Salt and Pepper – scoop into a bowl and keep aside
- Return the Onion mixture to the saucepan, together with the Cloves, Cinnamon, Tomatoes and Water – bring to the boil, cover, lower heat and simmer 35 – 40 minutes
- Return Chicken to the saucepan and cook uncovered for a further 15 – 20 minutes or until the Chicken is fully cooked and the sauce has thickened
- Stir in the Yogurt and Cream
Serve over rice with extra fresh sprigs of Cilantro
Amount Per Serving Calories 348.2 Total Fat 12.6g Saturated Fat 6.2g Unsaturated Fat 5.9g Cholesterol 120.5mg Sodium 540.8mg Carbohydrates 16.9g Fiber 2.8g Sugar 9.7g Protein 41.8g