Smothered Fish which is also known as Fish Mornay is a popular dish – fish covered in a thick, tasty cheese sauce and a crunchy topping
Serving fish to my family is always a “thing” . They are quite picky when it comes to any kind of fish, except fish fingers – they seem to love them!
But they do love this Smothered Fish recipe which is also known as Fish Mornay and we never have any leftovers (seconds are usually requested).
Fish Mornay is usually the name used in restaurants, but it could be anything, not only Fish, as it is a thick cheese sauce with a bit of crumble on the top.
I actually use this same sauce recipe over mixed vegetables as well.
My favorite fish to use is Haddock, but it is a little pricey and also not always available. You can use any kind of fish or even chicken is delicious with this sauce.
Add some Mozzarella cheese to the topping for some extra cheese gooey-ness ! Mozzarella is not too strong and will not overpower the taste of the Fish Mornay.
Seafood recipes you might like:
Smothered Fish (a.k.a. Fish Mornay)
- 6 medium Fish Fillets or Medallions (Hake, Haddock, Tilapia etc)
- 4 TB Butter
- 1/3 cup Flour
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1/2 t Mustard Powder
- 1/4 t Salt
- 1/2 t Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 t Ground Nutmeg
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese, grated, divided
- 1/2 cup Fresh Bread Crumbs
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) – spray an oven dish with cooking all (should be large enough for a single layer of Fish)
- Cook the Fish as you prefer – steam, bake or fry in a non-stick pan until done – place in a single layer on the bottom of the prepared oven dish
- SAUCE/TOPPING: Melt the Butter in a medium pan over low heat – stir in the Flour until a paste forms – add the Milk slowly, whilst stirring continuously
- Mix together the Chicken Stock, Mustard Powder, Salt, Pepper and Nutmeg – add to the pan and stir until smooth – simmer 2 – 3 minutes until the sauce has thickened – remove from the heat
- Stir in 3/4 cup of the Cheddar Cheese and stir until melted and smooth – pour over the Fish in the oven dish
- Combine the remaining Cheese and Bread Crumbs – sprinkle over the sauce and bake 15 – 20 minutes until bubbly and golden
Amount Per Serving Calories 327.6 Total Fat 18.5g Saturated Fat 10.9g Unsaturated Fat 4.6g Cholesterol 81.8mg Carbohydrates 12.8g Fiber 0.5g Sugar 2.8g Protein 28.6g
Serve with mashed potatoes and vegetables on the side.