Sweet and Sour Meatball Stir-Fry with loads of sauce (or not!) is the perfect week night dinner – meatballs, vegetables and sauce made in a wok or large skillet.
Last week was a sad week for our family. My aunt, late Dad’s sister, passed away after a couple of days in hospital and a long illness. Although I did not see her much these last couple of years, she was always on my mind and in my heart.
I was certainly in no mood for cooking and we mostly had take-outs, but over the weekend I got my head straight again. Well, sort of as I had no creative juices flowing.
Therefore I resorted to one of my favorite cook books, Eenskotteltreffers, and found this recipe, which I adapted slightly for a Sweet and Sour Meatball Stir-Fry.
Meatballs and Stir-Fries – oh yeah !
If you have been following With A Blast for a while now, you should know by now that we absolutely LOVE meatballs ! And Stir-Fries !
Combine the two and you have an awesome dinner, which is quick, easy and uses all standard pantry ingredients. As it is Winter now here in South-Africa, the sauce was very welcome !
I am usually not a too-much-sauce kinda person, but find sauce very comforting during the colder months. Hubby is a sauce person, the more, the better.
My son on the other hand is more of an in between sauce preference eater. I am only starting to learn what his girlfriend likes or prefers, but have to say she gave a big thumbs up for this Sweet and Sour Meatball Stir-Fry.
I rolled the meatballs as small as possible (a little bigger than a marble size) so as to not get the fried vegetables hidden by larger meatballs.
Not too much vegetables as both my son and his girlfriend are not veggie lovers ! The Celery, Bell Peppers and Cauliflower is an absolute delicious flavor combination and so suitable for Stir-Fries.
And the Sauce !
The sauce can really not be any simpler than this one. Sweet, sour and salty ! Perfect base for a sweet and sour dish, especially with the selected vegetables and the Pineapple used in this recipe.
We enjoyed the Stir-Fry over Tagliatelle but it will be equally delicious served over rice or mashed potatoes. The 6 servings I have in the recipe card below is for adult sized portions.
If you have more mouths to feed, you can always double the vegetables, which will still work out to be a very economical dinner meal.
More Stir-Fry recipes you might like:
Sweet And Sour Meatball Stir-Fry (Saucy!)
IngredientsYield: 6 Servings
- 1/2 cup Breadcrumbs, ( I use Wholewheat bread )
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- Vegetable Oil, for frying
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 t Spices for Meat
- 1/2 t Black Pepper
- 2 t Salt
- 1/2 t Dried Coriander
- 1 t Dried Parsley
- 900 g Lean Ground Beef, ( 2 pounds )
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups Cauliflower, cut into small bits
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups Celery, chopped
- 1 can Pineapple Pieces, drained ( 420 g - 14 oz)
- 1/4 cup Cornflour, ( Cornstarch )
- 2 TB Soy Sauce
- 2/3 cup White Vinegar
- 2/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 3 cups Water
- 1 1/2 cups Cherry Tomatoes, some sliced in half
- Combine all the ingredients for the Meatballs (except the Oil) - roll into small balls - fry in a little Oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat - drain and keep aside
- Using the same wok/skillet and leftover Oil - stir-fry the Celery, both Bell Peppers and Cauliflower 3 - 4 minutes - remove from wok/skillet and keep aside
- Combine the Water, Brown Sugar, Vinegar and Soy Sauce - pour into the wok/skillet and bring to the boil - mix the Cornflour with a little Water and stir into the Sauce - cook 2 - 3 minutes until thickened
- Add the cooked Meatballs, stir-fried Vegetables, Pineapple and the Tomatoes to the Sauce - heat through and serve
- Recipe slightly adapted by me from the cook book Eenskotteltreffers
- To Serve: Use a slotted spoon to scoop Vegetables and Meatballs over pasta, rice or mashed potatoes - lastly pour over sauce as per each eater's preference
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 686.1 Total Fat: 36.5g Saturated Fat: 15.3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 21.2g Cholesterol: 176.5mg Sodium: 1426.4mg Carbohydrates: 65g Fiber: 3.2g Sugar: 28.7g Protein: 32.9g
Linking up at : Weekend Potluck – Sweet Little Bluebird