Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole is easier, quicker and just as tasty as the traditional version – ham, cheese, chicken and more in this comfort food casserole
This is a somewhat different kind of Cordon Bleu, and I have to say a very delicious different kind!
I have had the original recipe pinned for some time. And finally gotten around to making this absolutely scrumptious Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole – twice already.
I did not bother to take a photo of a serving on a plate. It is just one of those dishes which looks like a total mess once served, but tastes amazing.
My family had gone totally nuts when they tasted this Casserole ! It really is something special and yet, again, so very, very easy to put together.
Both times I cooked the Chicken earlier the day, shredded as I started to get all the ingredients together and from there on the rest of the recipe was a breeze.
I am definitely adding this Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole to my favorite dishes, and I know the kids and hubby will enjoy it no matter the season.
What to serve with a Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole ?
And all you need to serve with this dish, is a side salad or a green vegetable (well, actually any vegetable, I just prefer something green as a side dish).
The first time I made this Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole, I made it exactly as per the recipe (link to original below recipe name), but I was not 100% happy with the topping.
A couple of weeks later, I made the dish again with a few changes.
The topping was the real change, I used fresh bread crumbs, dried herbs and then mixed in the Butter until everything was moist and almost like a doughy kind of thing.
I did not sprinkle over the topping as it was more like big clumps or crumble (like you would use over a dessert) and scattered pieces all over the top – this baked into a buttery, tasty crusty crumble.
More Casserole recipes you might like:
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- 1 can (410g) Cream Of Mushroom Soup (Condensed Soup) (14 oz)
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 2 t Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 t Black Pepper
- 450 g Cooked Chicken, shredded ( 1 pound )
- 250 g Deli Ham, thinly sliced, chopped ( 8 oz )
- 8 slices Gouda Cheese
- 3/4 cup Fresh White Bread Crumbs
- 1 1/2 t Dried Italian Herbs
- 2 TB Butter, softened
- Paprika, to sprinkle
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) – spray a 20 x 20cm ( 8 inch ) oven dish with cooking oil
- In a medium bowl, combine the Soup, Mayonnaise, Milk, Mustard and Pepper – divide in half and pour one half in a small bowl
- Add the Chicken to the remaining Sauce mixture in the medium bowl – mix well and scoop evenly into the prepared oven dish
- Arrange the Ham over the Chicken followed by the Cheese (overlapping is fine) – pour the retained Sauce in the small bowl over the Cheese
- Mix together the Bread Crumbs, Herbs and Butter – you should get an almost mushy dough – scatter half teaspoonfuls over the dish
- Sprinkle with paprika and bake 25 – 30 minutes or until golden and the Bread Crumb crumbles are cooked and crunchy
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 429.6 Total Fat: 24.3g Saturated Fat: 9.9g Unsaturated Fat: 2.2g Cholesterol: 106mg Carbohydrates: 18.3g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 3.7g Protein: 33.8g
Remove from the oven and leave to stand 5 minutes before serving.