An easy, fool-proof recipe for Shrimp and Chorizo Paella – the perfect, quick dinner for busy week days and always a hit with my family and friends
I am actually no good at making Paella. It just about always turns out a messy, sticky lot of meat and rice.
But I have never had a problem making this Shrimp and Chorizo Paella . The dish is definitely fool-proof and perfect for someone like me with specific problems (lack of knowledge?) in making Paella.
The combination of Shrimp and Chorizo is always wonderful, but it is exceptionally tasty in this recipe.
If it weren’t for obvious reasons, I would eat Chorizo everyday and the same goes for Shrimp, except the reasons are different.
One is fat content and the other is pricey – very pricey in Gauteng which is the most inland province of our country (or maybe that would be the Free State?).
Not many people like Olives and you can always leave that out. However if you do like Olives, adding them is highly recommended !
Another (more popular) option is to serve the Lemons, Parsley and Olives in a small side dish/plate.
When I had just met my husband, he did not like Olives at all – like is an understatement – he hated any kind of Olive, but now loves them as much as I always did and still do !
Yep, sometimes they only need a little guidance and of course the right wine paired to enjoy a bowl of Olives on it’s own.
Fortunately, my kids grew up eating Olives and it is an everyday, ordinary treat for them.
More Seafood/Fish recipes you might like:
- Sweet and Sour Shrimp Fried Rice
- Mussels in Lemon Garlic-Butter Sauce
- Easy Lemon and Onion Fish
- Shrimp Springrolls
- Smothered Fish (a.k.a. Fish Mornay)
Connect with us :
Shrimp And Chorizo Paella
- 2 TB Oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Chorizo, sliced
- 2 Green Bell Peppers, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Rice
- 1 cup Dry White Wine
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 t Turmeric
- 900 g Shrimp, defrosted if frozen ( 2 pounds )
- Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
TO SERVE (optional):
- 2 Lemons, sliced into wedges
- 1/4 cup Parsley, chopped
- 18 Black Olives, pipped
- Heat the Oil in a large pan or wok with a lid – saute the Onion, Chorizo and Peppers until the Chorizo is a bit crispy – add the Rice and stir through
- Add the Wine, Stock, Bay Leaf and Turmeric – stir and cover – lower the heat and simmer for 25 – 30 minutes or until the Rice is cooked
- Add the Shrimp – cook a further 10 – 15 minutes or until the Shrimp is done – season with Salt and Pepper to taste
- Serve with Lemon wedges, Parsley and Black Olives (optional)
- Nutrition value excludes : Lemons, Parsley and Olives
Joyce Chen 22-9938, Pro Chef 14 Inch 10 Piece Excalibur Non-Stick Wok Set
Lodge 14 Inch Cast Iron Wok. Pre-Seasoned Wok with Flattened Bottom for Asian Stir Fry and Sautees
Wood Wok Spatula Cooking Utensils JJMG Kitchen Handcrafted Curved Stir Fry Wooden Mixing Spoon Serving Turner Tool (Pack of 2)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 463 Total Fat 11.5g Saturated Fat 5.4g Unsaturated Fat 3.8g Cholesterol 236.8mg Sodium 350.8mg Carbohydrates 44g Fiber 1.8g Sugar 2.5g Protein 36.9g
Serve with Lemon wedges, Parsley and Black Olives.