Creamy Mushroom Soup is a quick, homemade, comforting soup recipe which uses all standard pantry ingredients – filling and delicious !
A comforting, creamy Mushroom Soup is one of my favorite soups (after Tomato Soup of course).
This recipe is quick and convenient as it uses all pantry ingredients.Except maybe the mushrooms, but we buy mushrooms every week, so for us, it really is a pantry (fresh produce) stock ingredient.
I actually hate cooking during the Winter, and am always looking for recipes which are quick and easy.
A Big cooking affair is normally okay if I have the gas stove on and maybe both the ovens.
My house is really cold in Winter and really, really HOT during Summer ! I suppose Fall and Spring are the two most comfortable seasons for spending time in my kitchen.
This recipe for creamy Mushroom soup does not have any cream (heavy cream/double cream), but instead I am using Evaporated Milk.
Evaporated Milk has much less calories than cream, which makes it a lighter, yet still creamy, soup. I usually have three or four cans of Evaporated Milk in the pantry.
Favorite use for Evaporated Milk – soup and in coffee ! It is also a great alternative to use in desserts or whipped (has to be ice-cold for whipping) to serve as a dessert topping.
If you prefer less Mushrooms in your soup, simply half the quantity of Mushrooms. Or, to stretch the soup, double all the ingredients, except the Mushrooms (no need to but Mushrooms can be expensive).
The latter will result in a soup with less Mushrooms per serving, but more liquid. I only do this when I serve the soup before a main meal.
Serving as a main meal, the more mushrooms, the better and more filling too. Serve any crusty bread or toasted sandwiches with this soup. Croutons are delicious too !
More Soup recipes you might like:
- Split Pea and Ground Beef Soup (Slow-Cooker)
- Quick Chicken Orzo Soup
- Potato Bacon and Leek Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Mexican Bean and Tomato Soup
Connect with us :
Creamy Mushroom Soup
- 2 TB Unsalted Butter
- 1 Onion, medium, chopped finely
- 1 t Garlic, crushed
- 500 g Mushrooms, sliced ( 16 oz )
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 can (410g) Evaporated Milk
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to serve (optional)
- Parsley, to garnish, chopped (optional)
- Melt the Butter in a large saucepan – add the Onion and Garlic – saute until soft but not brown
- Add the Mushrooms - saute 1 - 2 minutes - sprinkle the Flour over – stir well to mix – add the Chicken Stock and the Evaporated Milk
- Bring soup to boiling point then turn down the heat and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes until the Mushrooms are soft and the soup has thickened
- Serve with Black Pepper and Parsley (optional)
- Depending on the stock you use, a little Salt might be required - I leave this up to each person to add their own
Amount Per Serving Calories 258.5 Total Fat 14.4g Saturated Fat 8.6g Unsaturated Fat 4.8g Cholesterol 45.3mg Sodium 115.4mg Carbohydrates 22.4g Fiber 2.3g Sugar 14.1g Protein 12g