Chocolate Drizzled Milk Tart Squares are my spin of the popular South-African Milk Tart and a perfect addition to a sweet party platter.
Milk Tart is South-Africa and South-Africa is Milk Tart ! The traditional Milk Tart, of course, is a bit different than this recipe which I am sharing today for Chocolate Drizzled Milk Tart Squares
Most Milk Tart recipes are exactly that – a tart in a crust, with a softer, creamier filling. I think it is one of the most loved, and economical tarts in our country.
There is a lot of different versions but the basics are the same. Milk filling with Cinnamon sprinkled over (sometimes Cinnamon Sugar).
Curious what Milk Tart tastes like ? Milk with a hint of cinnamon ! (the traditional tart, not flavored that is).
In recent years I have also noticed several Milk Tarts with different flavors. One I most definitely want to try soon, is the Amarula flavored !
Another one which I am seeing is made with Rooibos Tea. Now I know Rooibos (certain brands) has started to make an appearance worldwide.
Are you a fan of small treats ? I love small sweet treats which you can eat by hand and this is perfect to place on a sweet platter.
Still soft and creamy, but with a denser texture and once set and cut into squares, these Chocolate Drizzled Milk Tart squares are very sturdy.
Use sprinkles to suit the occasion (if using). Red and green for Christmas, silver for a New Year’s Eve sweet platter or if it is for a kid’s birthday, the color of the party theme.
You might also like these Sweet Treat recipes:
- South-African Koeksisters
- Milk Tart Cookie Cups
- Amarula Chocolate Caramel Cake
- Salted Caramel Truffles
- Mini Caramel Pies
Chocolate Drizzled Milk Tart Squares
- 4 extra-large Eggs, separated
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3 TB Butter, melted
- 1 1/4 cup Self-Raising Flour
- 4 cups Milk
- 1/2 t Ground Cinnamon
- 2 TB White Chocolate, to drizzle over
- 1 t Sprinkles, your choice (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 deg C (325 deg F) – spray a 20 x 30 cm ( 8 x 12 inch ) oven pie dish with cooking oil
- Beat the Egg Yolks and Sugar together in a large mixing bowl until creamy – add the melted Butter – beat again to combine
- Add the Flour to the Egg mixture – mix – add the Milk and beat until smooth
- Beat the Egg Whites until stiff peaks form – fold gently into the Milk mixture
- Pour the mixture (very thin mixture) into the prepared pie dish – sprinkle the Cinnamon over – bake for 1 1/4 hours until dark brown on top and set -see note below
- Remove from the oven and let cool (it will still feel a little soft, but will set further while cooling) - once cooled transfer to the refrigerator to set completely
- Cut into small squares and drizzle with White Chocolate and sprinkles (if using) - serve
- The Cinnamon gives the Tart a darker color on top but do watch it as well - cover with aluminum foil if it darkens too much
Serving Size1 Square
Amount Per Serving Calories 88.4 Total Fat 3.3g Saturated Fat 1.9g Unsaturated Fat 0.8g Carbohydrates 12.4g Sugar 8.9g Protein 2.5g